Case study: Documenting student learning in outcomes-based education
The School of Information Technology and Communications Design, CSU Monterey Bay uses a series of Major Learning Outcomes (MLOs) as core requirements for graduation. MLOs are physical proof and example of knowledge gained on a course, and starting in Spring 2004, students used the KEEP Toolkit to produce an eportfolio page demonstrating the MLO evidence.
- To encourage students to document and reflect upon their learning experience
- To make this knowledge explicit to themselves, their instructors, their family, and their prospective employers.
- Promoting reflection on learning
- Allowed tutors to provide prompt feedback and guidance to deeper student reflection
- Developing a record of ones learning experience
- MLOs clearly communicate expectations and outcomes
- Acknowledges the value of collaborative learning and sharing information freely
- Encourages students to demonstrate developing competencies over a period of time, allowing students to map progress
Includes links to 3 excellent eportfolios, and covers a range of practices, so I would recommend this one for the presentation.